Two-thirds believe asthma is a childhood condition

More than two-thirds of people mistakenly believe that asthma is only a childhood condition, a survey has revealed.In fact, of the 5.1 million people in the UK with asthma, almost 70% are over 15 years old and 40% developed the condition after their 18th birthday.The research, commissioned by Boots and the National Asthma Campaign, found serious gaps in people's understanding of asthma and its symptoms. Only 4% of those interviewed thought that asthma was common in the 50-plus age bracket, and many put their persistent wheezing and breathlessness down to 'getting older'. Just over 40% did not realise that a troublesome cough that is worse at night or early in the morning are common symptoms that indicate poorly-controlled asthma.Professor Martyn Partridge (pictured), the National Asthma Campaign's chief medical adviser said: 'There seems to be a commonly held misconception that asthma only affects children. Not only does the condition affect all ages, it can start for the first time at any age.'It may be the case that many people have asthma but don't realise it. It is vital to recognise the symptoms early on in order to receive appropriate treatment and to control the condition by working with your GP, practice nurse or local pharmacist. If the condition goes untreated, it can lead to a downward spiral of poor health and an increased risk of long-term lung damage.'Sandra Phillips, 53, from Norfolk, recently found out that she has asthma: 'I had been feeling out of breath and wheezing a lot more than in my 40s. I put this down to the fact that I was getting older, until my daughter suggested that perhaps I had developed asthma. When I visited my GP, he confirmed that I did have asthma. Now I'm on the correct medication, my life is back to normal and I am no longer restricted in what I can do.'The National Asthma Campaign is Boots Charity of the Year 2003/2004. An information leaflet about asthma will be available in Boots' stores across the UK from the end of April and money raised through the company's fundraising activities during 2003/2004 will help fund vital Campaign research into the causes and treatment of asthma.

0 comments: